Tuesday, June 1, 2010

2010.5

I don’t think I’ve ever thought of it this way before but we’re halfway through 2010 though not exactly, I know. It was 6 months ago and 80 degrees colder when I outlined my resolutions for the year from a barstool (at the kitchen counter!) in Vermont. Each month, on the first of the month, I’ve reviewed my resolutions and noted progress, stagnation or setbacks with items on my list. When you’re halfway through a book, you get a sense of the characters and the story line. I now feel that way about the year and my resolutions. I may not know for sure how it’s going to turn out but I can detect certain patterns.

Let’s start with the good news. Running is coming along. I completed the Brooklyn Half Marathon in May. My time (just over 2 hours) is nothing to brag about but I really enjoyed it. I had forgotten about that semi-dorky feeling of accomplishment that comes with completing a race. I also, perhaps for the first time, enjoyed the race while I was running. I was aware that my body was working and grateful for that. I don’t know if this is a sign of being more appreciative or merely getting older. I am excited to really start to train for the Chicago Marathon. I have recently posted about my like/hate relationship with yoga. While I still cannot say I love it, I will say I am somewhat hooked. I find myself checking the class schedule to see where I can sneak in another class. I also practice poses at home.

I just realized, in reviewing my resolutions, how ironic it is as a “foodtrainer” that none of my resolutions really mention food. Part of this has to do with the fact that I am fairly stable with my cooking and eating and generally know what works for me, at least I thought I did. There has been a definite shift in my eating patterns. While I have joked about never being vegan (and don’t worry I’m still not vegan), I am eating substantially less animal protein. I still eat fish and eggs but given the choice do not eat much dairy, poultry or meat.

I am not on as much of a tea kick and so haven’t jumped into my “learn more about tea” goal and that’s ok. My personality is such that I probably learn too much about things and if it’s not tea it’s the 20 other things I am curious about where I channel my obsessive research tendencies. I still feel, with summer almost officially here, I can make weekly visits to farmers’ markets in the city  and make more pregress with that goal. And patience is proving to be a very elusive virtue but I’m working at it. I still have the second half of the year!
What were your 2010 resolutions? Do you remember them? Anything you’d like to work on for the rest of the year?

No comments:

Post a Comment