Monday, March 28, 2011

Nine


Last year I took a break from nutrition and wrote a post for by younger son Weston. Both of my boys were born in March and for your children birthdays are literally the day of their birth. Nine years ago Saturday, I gave birth for the first time. I woke up early thinking I had wet the bed, Marc assured me this was probably not the case as I had never in the years I’d known him been a bed wetter. I wasn’t entirely sure my water had broken. Marc suggested I go to work and see how I feel (men!), if I was in labor he’d come pick me up. My OB felt differently and told us to head to the hospital. We weren’t expecting the baby for 3 weeks so we gathered our things and drove cross-town.

My mother joined us and we watched the baby’s heartbeat on the monitor. My sister, in the hospital for a doctor’s appointment, stopped by to eat her lunch as I sucked on ice chips. Soon enough it was time to start pushing, a few pushes and the baby was here. I know, for some of you, that’s incredibly annoying to read but it’s true. Myles was alert with bright blue eyes and a dimple and I was in love.

To say Myles was an easy baby is an understatement. I would put him in his crib, leave the room and do phone sessions with clients. Not a peep. There was an exception, one day Myles decided to remove his diaper. I came in to find him and the Italian white bumpers were covered in poo. It looked like a mass murder with doody. It was as though he was saying, “I may not yell and scream but I'm no pushover." He's since learned to yell and scream, still no pushover.

Before Myles could talk he clapped. He would clap and smile to get your attention. He doesn’t clap as much but he has a smile that can melt your heart. He likes to have a good time. In third grade his teachers are trying to teach him that there’s a time for silly. I support them but feel if silly is your worst quality you’re doing pretty well. Not only do you seek out fun but you're up for anything at any time.

Myles was allergic to eggs and corn when he was younger but has since outgrown his allergies. Like his mother, Myles likes to rank his meals. If he eats a scone he will compare it to his favorite scone in the Wolesley in London. He’ll taste something and either it’s pretty good, great or occasionally “the best.” I put berries out this morning and he told me they didn’t taste that good. I should know but “it’s not their time yet.” Myles current favorite foods are dosas, Fage peach Greek yogurt, salad with ginger dressing and Insomnia cookies. He gets his sweet tooth from Marc.

I'm having a hard time this year because nine seems different to me than eight. Nine seems big. I love the fact that we can ski together and read together but I’m aware that there will be birthdays in the future I will not spend with Myles. It’s no longer just putting you in the crib but sharing and debating and at times disagreeing. And for an easy child, boy can you debate playstation privileges or a later bedtime. Right now Myles,  you see yourself as “either a hockey player or a piano player” when you get older. I can’t wait to see what the next 9 years bring. I wish you many more smiles, good times and of course “the best” meals along the way.
Where were you 9 years ago in 2002? Does it seem like a long time since then? Do you think your personality is set from an early age? And do you, like us, rate your food?
P.S. I read this to Myles and he wanted me to delete the "volcano of poop" part and "dimple."

18 comments:

  1. Nine is hitting me hard emotionally as well. (we have 12 more days til the actual event) It feels like the beginning of the end of being a little kid. I guess it's because I remember my own 9th birthday vividly. I started walking to school by myself, staying home alone, walking to friends houses. It's independence I'm not ready for. Happy Birthday Myles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Claire, agreed. I have always been the mom who said "each stage is better than the one before" and I believe that. However, even shopping for presents I was aware that the toys weren't little boy toys and the gap between my son and the kids at the toy store with the trains was huge. It's all good but different. I am happy we'll never have a highchair but realize we're midway to college (gulp).

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute post, Lauren. Times flies by way too quick. 9 years ago this month I was studying in Florence for the semester. It was one of the best times of my life and it seems like a lifetime ago. While I don't have kids yet, I have a niece who turned 3 last month and I can't believe how big and smart she is in just 3 short years. I can't imagine how I will feel when she is nine. I agree that each stage of life brings its own joy, but sometimes it would be nice if we could hit the pause button for a little while. Happy Birthday Myles!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lauren, this is such a cute post! In 2002 I was in my junior year of high school! It is amazing how life-changing 9 years can be. Despite the changes that may happen around you, I do think that your personality is set from an early age, but I have definitely learned that what you rate to be "the best" (especially in terms of food!) changes with time. I love Myles' proposed edits :) Happy Birthday!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think your personality and in many ways taste preferences are set early.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My favorite thing about Myles is his ability to laugh at himself--he had that quality when he was a toddler, and I was always amazed by that--some adults spend YEARS trying to have that self-awareness and never get there. His ability to be silly is CONTAGIOUS and I always had the most fun with him just goofing off. Tell him Happy Birthday from me today! Hope you celebrate with lots of laughs! XO

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy birthday to your little man!

    9 yearas ago I was in high school! Grade 11.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OK so "where were you nine years ago" was a question I didn't expect the answers to would make me feel ancient. Carrie- you and Myles had a special friendship, I think that means your silly (in a good way) and like to laugh too. You make me laugh all the time. When's your new blog launching?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lauren, I have already started the blog, but haven't made it public yet. It is such a big deal for me to even start writing again after this long rut. Baby steps :) Nine years ago I was working in publishing as an asst editor and drinking quite heavily in various NY bars. The thought of both makes me feel EXHAUSTED.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 9 years ago in march I was a senior in high school! Couldn't wait to graduate!

    Now I'm at a point where I want to start thinking about having a baby! Glad you had such a god experience! Always encouraging! Very sweet post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow Lauren, your readers are young! Nine years ago, Colin and I were trying to decide if we should buy a house in STL and in doing so implicitly deciding to stay there forever or move to NYC. I'm so happy to say that we decided to give NY a try.

    Miles is adorable and each post about your kids is further proof that you are a fantastic mom. Don't forget to buy yourself a gift for his bday! And Miles has the best smile...he's going to be a lady-killer. It's a little early to worry about college, but I'm ready to talk about it whenever you are.

    I, too, rank food. No shame in that.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Marie- we're old for this blogging thing, ha ha. I wish I had known you were in NYC. You know "9" years from now you'll be college advising us.
    Food ranking is fun.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Myles is a little boy after my own heart...scones? The best thing in the world!

    You are so lucky to have an easy-going baby. I never had that! I still don't. But she keeps me on my toes so I suppose I should be happy about that.

    I love this post...9 years ago I was in Hawaii for my 2nd anniversary. Wow, time flies.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Birthday to Myles! He sounds like an amazing young man!

    My older son was an easy baby, and I now realize how spoiled I was... :)

    Nine years does seem like a long time ago to me. I wasn't in a very good place at the time, and I'm glad things are so much better now!

    I think your children growing up is bitter sweet. I think the elementary school years are so much fun! And I started missing them a lot once the teenager became a teenager... :) I also think that we get ready for our children to leave home. I was sad when the teenager left for college (yes, I'm a very old reader of yours!), but I was also ready...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lucky you for having an easy delivery and baby. That's so great! I have a similar diaper/crib story, except my daughter smeared the mess on every crib slat and threw chunks around her room. Some five feet away from her crib! Pretty fun cleanup, but your crib bedding cleanup sounds worse.

    Nine years ago I was in my second semester of college. It seems like forever ago to me. I can't imagine having a 9 year old. My daughter is already 3, and it's going by so quickly.

    My husband and I totally rank our food on a scale of 1 (worst) to 10 (best) all the time. He's in LOVE with burgers, and I can never pick just one favorite of anything.

    Happy Birthday to your handsome boy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a great post! I have so much to look forward to when I have kids :) Of course, the wetting the bed part might freak Nick out a bit, ha!

    Nine years ago I was just starting college. I was terrified, stressed, yet having the time of my life. Crazy. Seriously. I wish I was back there!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great post, and Happy Birthday to Miles! I'm feeling ancient too reading these comments...Nine years ago I was trying to figure out the new mommy thing. My daughter is now 9 1/2, and I can't believe she'll be in the double digits in September. She was not an "easy" baby like your Miles, but she is a happy, joyous girl and pretty silly too! My son will be 8 next month. As I'm writing this, he is asking me {with his big blue eyes and sweet smile} to go outside and play airplanes with him, because he says "Mom's are awesome." Melts my heart....I'm going outside to play now :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love this post! My son totally did the take off the diaper--poop everywhere thing. Only a few times, but one day he did it TWICE! When he woke up in the morning, and again when he woke up from his nap. The second time I just let myself cry :)

    9 years is a long time. I have been married for 9 years, and life has definitely changed since that first year!

    I find myself trying to enjoy the really sweet moments with my kids because I know they won't be this little for long.

    ReplyDelete