Monday, March 5, 2012

Pineapple Power and My New Favorite Winter Fruit

Sadly that what my green Strawsome's last stand
I love a big bowl of ice-cold cherries or a succulent white peach but I’m not a summer fruit snob. I spend the winter perfectly happy with Asian pears, Cara Cara oranges, ruby red grapefruits and pineapple. When it comes to fruit, I guess I  have a “love the one you’re with” mentality and I have a couple of current loves.

Pineapple always seems like a treat to me. You can casually buy an orange but when you purchase a pineapple you usually have to have a plan. I’m currently using pineapples in these:



Greek Pina Coladas
1 container 2% Greek yogurt
½ cup fresh pineapple
1 tsp. unsweetened coconut
1tsp. coconut palm sugar
dash of organic mint extract

Stir together the yogurt, extract and sugar until blended. Top with coconut.









Green Pineapple Smoothies (pictured at top)
1 cup  fresh pineapple
optional (1/2 pineapple core chopped)
½ to ¾ cup filtered water
1 scoop vanilla Sun Warrior protein powder
1 handful dinosaur kale
 ¼ cup cilantro
zest ½ lime (use microplane)
Add water and then rest of the ingredients to Vitamix or blender capable of kale crushing. Blend. Thanks to one of my clients for tipping me off to the pineapple/cilantro combo.

When purchasing pineapples keep in mind they don’t ripen off the plant and organic production prohibits ripening agents so a little green hue is ok. And pineapples do more than taste good. They contain bromelin which is approved by German Commission E (aka the herbal authorities) to treat swelling and inflammation following injury or surgery.  If you take bromelin supplements use caution in that it can make blood thinners and sleep aids more potent.

Pineapple is also one of the only foods that increase serotonin levels making pineapple a bona fide mood food. And don’t toss the core. I’m less intrigued that pineapple cores are rumored to be a fertility food than finding a use for this fibrous portion. I use cores in my juicer or as you see above in smoothies too. Try using the core to flavor iced teas or if you’re so inclined to infuse your own vodka.

Then, on Thursday a client came in waving one of these

“You have to try these, they are the best.” This wasn’t the type of person who raves about produce so when I spotted these Sumo Tangerines at Whole Foods, I grabbed a few. I had a friend over and gave her one. We peeled  effortlessly and at the same time said “yum”. They really are the best oranges,  a cross between a navel and mandarin. The season is short so if you see them, give them a try.  They’ll make you forget about affordable berries and love them one you’re with.
With fruit are you a summer snob or love the one you’re with? What’s you’re favorite way to eat or cook pineapple? Do you use the core? And have you tried sumo tangerines?

34 comments:

  1. I'm a fruit free-love kind of girl. I don't think I've ever met a fruit I didn't like! I even like durian...despite the smell.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh, durian you even love the "smelly" ones you're with. I am scared to try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never thought of using the pineapple core in a smoothie... good call!! Love pineapple =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try it (I use about an inch per smoothie) or if you have other "core" suggestions would love to hear.

      Delete
  4. I actually prefer vegetables over fruits. One reason I love our CSA is that there are always plenty of fruit, and we make sure to eat them all, so I do eat at least one fruit (and often two, especially if I make a smoothie and add some blueberries) a day, which I may not do if I didn't have the CSA... We just got some really good oranges, which I enjoyed.

    Great pineapple ideas. I don't buy pineapple very often, but I really like your ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrea, I'm with you and don't eat massive amounts of fruit. I also dislike fruit in savory dishes (I'm not into pineapple stir fry). I don't do a CSA, haven't this year but maybe I should for the spring.

      Delete
  5. Ohmygosh you have me wanting to drive 2 hours to WF to find a Sumo -- no way would any place near me carry them. So a road trip is totally in my near future I think! =)

    and i'm with Lisa - BRILLIANT to use the core in the smoothie! Never throwing that away again! Love you like woah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As much as I love the Sumos, I'd hate to make you drive 2 hours. And then what if they don't have them. I suddenly feel lucky to have 2 WHM within 10 minutes of my apartment. Don't toss the core, I bet you could think of even more interesting uses creative Jenn.

      Delete
  6. I love fruit.. nearly all of them.. and I eat a lot. Only last night I had a melon medley with 2 servings of strawberries. I love pineapple and was amazed the day I discovered a pineapple corer. The device you cut out the pineapple from inside of the skin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. great device but save that core, burns calories breaking down that fiber.

      Delete
  7. I love your green pineapple smoothie Lauren, and am so intrigued by the addition of cilantro, my favorite herb. This is a must make!! I think I used to be a summer fruit snob, but I really enjoy the fruits of the season now. I have always loved tangerines, especially satsumas. Now I'm not sure if I've had a sumo or not, but I'm headed to the grocery store today so I'll be on the lookout for them (and a pineapple!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love cilantro too and it works nicely with "sweet" flavors. Can spice it up as well cilantro/cayenne/pineapple. I know you're "spicy".

      Delete
  8. I am a real player when it comes to fruit. :) I love ALL! I am really into grape fruit right now. But I also always have 3 bags of Organic berries in the freezer: red raspberries, blueberries and strawberries all of which go in either smoothies or oats. That pineapple smoothie sounds divine! Who needs cake when you could have something that delicious and healthy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure someone will totally call us out on the cake thing. So you settle down in real life and play the fruit field, I get it. I can totally get my dessert fix from a smoothie: pina colada, chocolate mint. I'm sure I could figure out a carrot cake and red velvet too. Try broiling a grapefruit.

      Delete
  9. Going to WF today to get Sumo oranges. I love pineapple. At times I actually crave it. Also, have been dreaming about strawberries and peaches so hope summer gets here soon.

    That smoothie looks great. What kind of juicer do you have? I would love to buy one. Because I changed jobs and through a bit of a payroll mix up, Uncle Sam returned a nice chuck of money to me. Most going to my new practical yet sassy car, but want to use some of it for a kitchen treat.

    Thanks for the pineapple/sumo orange tips!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melanie, I have a Breville juices and a Vitamix blender and I'm nerdy (know you are too) to think both are necessities. I say, since the car is practical, get the flashy kitchen tools.

      Delete
    2. Just ordered the Breville....can not wait till it comes!!!! Have a great blender, but the vitamix is calling my name....must admit I also bought a great pair of shoes with the tax refund.

      Will be hounding you for smoothie suggestions.

      Thanks!

      Delete
    3. Breville is really great, easy to clean and pretty too.

      Delete
  10. sweet! Didnt know pineapple was in season now. I think this means a mini greek pina colada for snack. Never had a sumo orange but will keep an eye out. I do adore spring/summer fruits - days of berries arent too far away - but citrus has grown on me a lot this winter. Smoothie looks awesome - next investment: vitamix.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr O just ordered Breville, I thought I already wrote an appliance-focused blog.

      Delete
  11. ps what happened to your green strawesome?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I proved they are destructible after all, I still have a dozen but the green was so pretty.

      Delete
  12. Just yesterday I stood and stared at the whole pineapples in the grocery store. I didn't buy one, though I may yet. The core sounds like a good deal. It's just me eating one and a whole pineapple seemed like a big commitment right at that moment.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love pineapples - don't love the way they dirty my kitchen though. So I am one of those lazy people who buy the pre-cut pineapples for the most part. So much easier! Drizzle a bit of yogurt on them and some granola - perfect breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is there pre-cut organic? What do you do Ameena if your kitchen gets dirty, would love to read about that. You know, nudge, nudge sponges or dishtowels clean pineapple juice.

      Delete
  14. great smoothie and need to look for those tangerine :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See Rebecca, smoothies I can do- dosas not so much.

      Delete
  15. I have never tried those sumo tangerines before. They sound amazing!
    I love doing smoothies when the weather warms up, but my ingredients are so boring. I love your recipe and can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. can't imagine your smoothies being boring, you're the ultimate experimenter.

      Delete
  16. I love all fruits. I am not a big fan of pineapples although I do like the occasional pina colada. Your Greek Pina Colada looks amazing. I think I am definitely going to be trying that out soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe we can convert you Sam. Have to try a dish inspired by a cocktail.

      Delete
  17. You know my obsession with cilantro and basil - it's a staple for me year round :D
    And regarding pineapple - there is frozen organic at Whole Foods. Frozen eliminates need for ice too (I even freeze my fresh fruit once it's sliced).

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi,

    I came across your page recently and I'm trying to find an email address to contact you on to ask if you would please consider adding a link to my website. I'd really appreciate if you could email me back.

    Thanks and have a great day!

    ReplyDelete