Friday, May 18, 2012

Memorial Day Countdown, Secret Weapon Time


Each month, at Foodtrainers, we send out our Monthly Morsels newsletter.
With Memorial Day weekend a week from today, this month’s email focused on some of our favorite “secret weapons” as sometimes the old tricks just don’t do the trick, trust me I know.

Energy Boost

I talked about E3Live a while back but when I think of little extras that really make a difference, this tops the list.  E3Live improves workouts, energizes without making you feel speedy and we’re really excited to have it available. There’s something really fun about doing “shots” at the office, it brings back those Tulane days in a healthy way.

Appetite Suppressant and Legit Fat Burning

Not to worry there’s no dexatrim comeback we’re endorsing. Chia seeds and their tendency to swell in liquid make them a natural appetite suppressant. Cocochia combines chia seed with raw, organic coconut for a perfect yogurt or oatmeal topping. The lauric acid in coconut (one of the “good” saturated fats) improves fat metabolism. Take that muffin top (or as my client called it “brioche”).

Better than Bread

As summer approaches the breadbasket isn’t your friend. It really never has been. These gluten free crisp breads so the trick. Orgrans taste better than some other popular fiber crackers and are a great vehicle for avocado slices, hummus or sunflower butter.


Foodtrainers Favorite Sweetener

If you read this blog regularly you know my opinion of the blue, pink and yellow crap. In most cases, I’d say just opt for less sweet. While maple and honey have their place, in smoothies and drinks NuStevia really does the trick. This brand has done of the stevia aftertaste many people object to.



Bathing suit bundle
If the thought of disrobing has thrown you into a tizzy, we have a solution for that too. We put together a bathing suit bundle and to further subdue anxiety we're discounting it until Sunday.
Do you have any secret weapons or strategies pre summer? Have you tried any of my favorites mentioned above? Do you have any blue/pink or yellow packets in your life (be honest)?


16 comments:

  1. You had me at cocochia. Just when I thought chia couldn't get any better, will need to find this around here. Or I guess I can make my own mélange. 
    I have no packets in my life, they make me cringe. When people tell me there isn't sufficient evidence to label them as "bad for you" I usually say that there is even less evidence to label them as "good for you". The whole "innocent until proven guilty" is a practical concept in real life, but sometimes makes eating tricky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say in this country it's innocent until proven guilty or covered up by a food company. Love the word "melange". 

    ReplyDelete
  3. No colored packets on my life :-) I do have some Nu Naturals Stevia, although I don't use it too often. For some reason, I kept reading the name of those crackers as "organ", but clearly that's to rights. The coconut/chia combo sounds interesting to try, and, although my energy is pretty good, I'd love to try a "healthy" E3 live shot one day to see what the buzz is about. Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A good post ! Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have read before that something like 4% of the population gets gastro issues from artificial sweeteners. Whatever the low percentage really is, I am fully one of them. I knew it as a teenager: this problem has not developed as I've gotten older. I simply cannot consume artificial sweetener. You don't want to be around me - cramps are just the beginning of the problem. I honestly count myself as fortunate in this as it is the earliest thing I can recall that set me on the path of trying to make good food choices. (caveat: of course, I do not always make good food choices! but you will not catch me eating sugar-free. I get upset when people serve it without identifying it, too)

    ReplyDelete
  6. My secret strategy is to never put on a bathing suit. When people ask I blame my eczema. Which is only partially true... LOL

    Have a good weekend Lauren!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great strategy Ameena and we love a good food fib.

    ReplyDelete
  8. we scientifically call it "animal in your stomach" syndrome Caron because that's what it feels like.Stay away. I see what you're saying though and when you find a food that doesn't work and you feel better without it, especially an unhealthy one it's sort of a blessing.  Does it happen with stevia?

    ReplyDelete
  9. thank you, is this Karla? 

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know, isn't orgran a rough name, I think organic/grain is what they're getting at but I thought the same thing EA. You must try E3. 

    ReplyDelete
  11. No, it doesn't happen with stevia, which is in my protein whey and a reduced calorie lemonade from TJ's. What I figure is that since I have shied away from the fake stuff for so long, I just don't think about choosing food sweetened with stevia simply out of habit. Another thing - animal in your stomach is great because I remember saying it felt like I had swallowed an angry squirrel. I get nervous eating things with stevia because I fear the squirrel more than the calories. 

    ReplyDelete
  12. have to admit it's thanks to you i am pink/blue/yellow packet-less!! :) and having a e3live shot right now w my water chaser... my how happy hours have changed

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yeah, for me the countdown is for the wedding at this point.  I need to work on not eating too much at summer parties/events!  Specifically carbs and desserts (or...carbs...haha).  I'm all about the Stevia drops, love them.  I also love chia, but I wish it really did suppress my appetite like it should.  I don't think they do as much as they should!

    ReplyDelete
  14.  It's Ayala :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. When is the wedding Gina? Yes, a much more important countdown. I think fiber/chia and appetite suppression is individual. I also think not all eating has to do with hunger.

    ReplyDelete
  16. really, when did we reform you?

    ReplyDelete