Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Five Last Minute Tips to Look Better in a Bathing Suit

Jada may love Will she loves Jada more.
As I mentioned in the water post, Marc and I were away, in Turks and Caicos, for a few days.  I could tell you about the sailing we did (I was reading Gone Girl which I wouldn’t suggest for a romantic getaway) or how excited I was that the local restaurant we went to noted gluten free on the menu or even the best crab salad I’ve ever had.
I would choose this over a bikini any day
However, two other things continue to stand out in my mind. On our first afternoon at the beach, just after we arrived, I saw an Italian family standing by the water. You couldn’t help but notice them. First the mother (50ish) was taking photos of her two 20-something daughters. The daughters posed like they were in the SI swimsuit issue; the bikini-ed mother posed as she clicked away. Then papa comes to take pictures of his annoying gorgeous family. Marc, watching this whole photo shoot with me said, “I should ask if they want me to take a picture of the four of them.” I told him I’d kill him if he gave them any more attention, we laughed.

We soon took a little sailboat out. As we were hopping in the boat, two women were getting out of another. These women were at least 15 years older than me. They weren’t physically perfect like the Italians. They had lumps and bumps but were seemingly unaware.  I am always drawn to this question of body confidence. See, I am of another persuasion. I love a good cover up (and love to cover up), when I’m on the beach in a bathing suit, I’m aware I’m basically naked and I’m happiest under an umbrella with a good book (kindle people, it’s hard to read kindles on the beach) taking it all in. There will be no attention-grabbing Slayton photo shoots. I would bet I’m not alone and if you need a little beach day encouragement here are some ideas:

Run- I like a good sweat before a beach day. Most of the time I go for an hour-long run. Part of me likes to move before planting myself in a lounge chair. More than anything, it feels good before sporting a swimsuit.
Tan and lube- I tweeted  “nothing like a BB (before bikini) workout” and a fellow nutritionist said “yes and a spray tan too”.  It’s true; tanning is a great camouflager and does make you look slimmer.  I worry about the safety of spray tans. There are organic options (there’s a place called O’live organic in NYC) but I stick to self-tanner. Look for a paraben free self tanner. I love Chocolate Sun.  As much as I love my Coola mineral sunscreen, I don’t love the white matte finish it leaves on my skin. I follow it up with a little oil.

Drink- while I’m sure a shot of tequila would eradicate any swimsuit hesitancy, I’m not a day drinker. Instead, Eboost and Pukka detox tea are my pre-beach beverages. Did you know that teabags don’t need hot water? Any water works. I was so thrilled the hotel gym had Eboost.

Pursue Potassium- we’re early beach goers, we get to the beach before it gets crowded and generally leave to do other things around lunchtime. Each morning away we’d pass people chowing down at the outdoor restaurant. Who can eat a buffet breakfast and then slip into a swimsuit? Oh yes, the Italians or the sailing ladies. Why not?  If you’re two-piece terrified, potassium is your pal. Potassium in your diet decreases sodium levels. Less sodium? Less puffy. Some ideas:
Eggs and Asparagus
Goat Yogurt (Coach Farms makes, easier to digest than dairy)
Fruits such as cantaloupe, citrus and my favorite avocado.
And let’s not forget the potassium power of coconut water.

Practice- my numero uno beach tip of all time was to change into a swimsuit when you get home from work for a week before a beach vacation. Clients loved this and emailed that they were making dinner, working on the computer and cleaning the house in their bikinis. Seriously though, part of the whole bathing suit thing if you didn’t grow up on the beach is just comfort. It’s also important to try on suits before you leave for a trip. What worked last summer, for various reasons, may not be doing you any favors this year. You don’t want your cup (or your “saucer” for that matter) to “runneth” over.  And a stretched out too-loose get-up isn’t helping your cause. And our causes, no matter how big or how small, need help.
Are you more like the Italians or a cover upper? What do you do to psyche yourself up for the beach? Any last minute tricks? Have you read Gone Girl or anything else good?
And the winner of the Mountain Valley Spring water is Nancy, congratulations.

20 comments:

  1. Loved Turks & Caicos...can't wait to go back there one day!


    Me + bikinis = disaster. I do a tankini...it's the only way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No way, see I can be objective for others and you can wear ANYTHING. I have mixed tankini feelings. Maybe because I'm short I feel tankini can look messy, sometimes less for me more flattering. I realize this violates my cover up at all costs mantra but just something I've noticed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mother sounds like the italian woman you were describing, but she was here the whole time so it must have been someone else. I just got back from Mexico, totally agree with you about the pre-beach workout. Definitely a confidence booster. I love swimming and theres nothing like a good swim to work your core, so if there's no time for a morning workout, some type of "aqua form" might do the trick! Oh and limiting the pina coladas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Read Gone Girl a few weeks ago :) GREAT beach read. I am a cover-upper no matter how healthy and "worked out" I feel, and no matter what season--I always have been.

    ReplyDelete
  5. me too, it's a mentality nothing about size. Did you like ending?

    ReplyDelete
  6. um my mother (though Russian not Italian) was a lot like the Italian mother too, confidence and all. I love the swimming idea b/c if you're not feeling great go swim off some nerves though you need to shed a cover up before swimming, decisions, decisions.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Helpful tips - and the last one is especially interesting! Trying on your bathing suit in advance can serve as such a great reminder/motivation, ESPECIALLY actually wearing it around the house. Very clever

    ReplyDelete
  8. Completely agree about the workout - I always feel thinner after a workout, even if it's not really true. It's a mindset thing, as you say. Not familiar with Eboost or Pukka, I will have to investigate that further. I do stay away from big meals though, anything that will make me feel bloated. I don't know how people can eat a giant breakfast and then go to the beach either. I'm not a big breakfast person anyway, just give me some oatmeal or a hard boiled egg and some fruit. That's enough for me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We're totally on same page. Socal (hemp based) protein is another one I could've added, works wonders.

    ReplyDelete
  10. there's no way I'm grazing with my bikini on.Right?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your last tip. Bikini while laundry folding? Why not.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't been to the beach in so long, I'm scared about how I will react when I get there in September! I'm not sure whether I will be confident, or not. Either way, I love these tips. I also take magnesium for my bloating :) It helps!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great tips! Sounds like you guys had an awesome trip.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Exercise, yes! Especially a weight workout, boosts my bathing suit confidence. It's amazing how my "part of body confidence" has flip flopped after having kids and getting older. It used to be so much easier to display my mid section, but after kids, I'm much more comfortable displaying my legs. Tankini most of the time, and a bikini every now and then...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sam @ Mom At The BarreAugust 5, 2012 at 7:40 PM

    I'm totally a cover-up kind of gal! I love your idea about running on the beach before the more sedentary portion of the day!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Have to move before we snooze/sit, right?

    ReplyDelete
  17. at least you still have part(s) you like, ha.

    ReplyDelete
  18. interesting, will tell you more in person, sept...did we pick?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Mag for bloating, only think of it well for constipation. Good idea Ms Gina.

    ReplyDelete
  20. If we can't have fun with this whole bikini topic, what's the point, right?

    ReplyDelete