Monday, May 19, 2014

Am I Ramona?


So let’s get it out of the way. I watch RHONY (which if you have more highbrow TV taste stands for Real Housewives of New York). Even friends who share my viewing preferences have moved on from this particular show. But I watch. I watch the women behaving badly and sometimes it makes me feel normal, maybe even balanced by comparison. Mostly though, I watch in disbelief that they’re doing and saying these things.

In the latest episode, the “ladies” go to the Berkshires to Heather’s (Yummie founder, perhaps the sanest of the bunch) home. She plans a fun-filled weekend starting with canoeing on the lake. There’s some bitching and moaning about carrying the canoes but eventually they get out on the lake. Some women jump in for a swim but Ramona, the resident wacko, says she doesn’t want to get her hair wet. After a tiff with one of the other cast mates Kristin (wife of EBoost founder who likes to discuss blow jobs. I am not shy but haven't been able to "boost" since) splashes Ramona wetting her hair. Ramona does what “ladies” do and throws a glass (always good to have glass in a canoe) at Kristen splitting her lip.

This was bad and I am not sure why they didn’t remove Ramona from the weekend; however, what ensued later was Ramona making the argument that Kristen ruined her blow dry thus justifying glass throwing. As I watched Ramona make her crazy case with her crazy eyes and poorly salvaged hair I did my usual judging. In my head I thought it was petty and vain and then I realized something bad. I could relate. No, not to the violence but I have definitely passed up opportunities to take a swim or participate in things because of a blow dry or spray tan or whatever primping I was trying to maintain. And I have to say I feel like a loser every time.  

Part of it is being female (for me in a house of males). Although I can get out of the house for work (with makeup) in 10 minutes if need be, it’s not the two minutes my husband can muster. I do not have hair that can dry naturally (the way I like it).  You may recall on our Yellowstone trip I brought a mini flat iron and used it at the campsite, yup.

Whether it’s passing up a beach trip because you don’t feel bathing suit ready (ever) or the hair or the makeup for me it’s sad when we make these decisions, when we choose the "looks" over the experience. So it hit home when a TV lunatic was voicing the same concerns I have. At least I don’t say them out loud. ..
Do you ever make decisions based on looks that may mean sacrificing fun? Do you watch any of these Bravo shows? Do you blow-dry your hair? Will you watch the Bachelorette tonight (new season)?

9 comments:

  1. Yes, I watch RHONY, too! :) And now that my hair is quite short and I have to blow dry it or it looks awful, I can relate somewhat to crazy Ramona... In general, however, I try not to let "outside stuff" get in the way of enjoying life. In fact, I made a decision to swim A LOT with the kid this summer and not care about the hair. We'll see how that'll go... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK maybe you'll inspire me to swim a lot (or a little) too. Glad you watch, somehow makes me feel better Andrea. Funny that we do so much for our health only to watch very unhealthy people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, ha love that we're all admitting to reality TV habits. Sad or scary when wait...maybe their phobias and issues overlap with ours. Find a great bathing suit and let yourself fully love the beach this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also watch RHONYC, it's a guilty pleasure. I am light blond with difficult to style hair (at least in my hands), pool water does give my hair the dreaded green tint. I always tell my kids that I will jump in if they are drowning, but otherwise i am sitting on the chaise. I will swim in the ocean though and suck up the beach ponytail. Totally second bringing the mini hairdryer and flat iron!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "jump in if they are drowning" made me choke (in a good way) Julie. And I have no idea what color my hair (really) is. Cheers to sucking it up with a beach pony.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I envy your non-blowdryable hair! I can't get out of the house without blowdrying. I've always wanted hair that didn't look ridiculous without a blowdry but it's not in the cards for me. I don't even have a ponytail option. I have to say I do miss out on things like water rides at amusement parks due to vanity - but also due to not wanting to walk around in wet clothing the rest of the day. Sometimes I suck it up and go with crazy hair, but sometimes I really don't and I usually don't regret it. I also live in a house with boys and I endure a lot of eye rolling! They just don't get it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. did I say non-blowdryable- no, no but I do have a "ponytail option" or bun option. And hey- if you don't regret things you skip then it's all good. Water rides-yuck

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I misread - you did say your hair won't air dry the way you like it. Mine goes a little further and looks ridiculous when I don't blowdry though (also if I do blowdry and it happens to be humid). Sometimes I see women with supershort hair and I envy them - I tried that look once and it wasn't that flattering on me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. As a matter of fact, I do. I'd ditch a trip to the beach or the pool just so my hair (which I straightened with my Karmin G3 flat iron) stays straight until the next day. :)

    ReplyDelete